Wednesday, August 1, 2012

AnyHero MidWeek Throwdown

Today's MWT asks for Any Hero cards, and since I'm assuming the challenge is also to write a note to a hero, Ill do that too.

Thanks for Everything

This is Ciara, OWH's mascot. I don't have the stamp, but actually got it in a swap from Sandi, a gal on a swap board on FB. I'm not too keen on my colored penciling still, but I think it's good enough to pass. The sentiment is heat embossed and the plaid paper is from DCWV's Stripes, Dots, and Plaids stack.

I also made some Halloween cards for my next box (without the morbidity, of course) with a small Martha Stewart pack I got on clearance after last's year's Halloween. This was pretty fun. I didn't do Halloween cards last year because I didn't have any 'ween themed paper, but I guess it just goes to show you, if you've got the paper, you can do anything, haha.

New to me mini stack from last year's clearance :)
I also did a few more of this last Sunday's Sketch #131 and tacked on some sentiments from a RAK on the swap board. Thanks again, Cindy!


These are the last few pages of my DCWV Latte Stack. Something about these, looking at the photo, looked cock-eyed, but I can't put my finger on it. Is it the placement of the cards on the table, or the elements themselves? That top polka dot rectangle is off from the one below it. Darn, gonna have to fix that. This happens a lot: I find faults (no matter how small) in the photos, but can't see them when I hold the card in my hand and look at it in real life. Does this happen to anyone else?

Here's a final card for this last week's bunch...







There's a few things I really like about this guy. First, the flowers come from a swap :). Second, I didn't curl the petals like I usually do and I think it looks just as cool. Even a bit CAS-er actually. Third, the DP is from a 12x12 $1 pack I got a long time ago and never broke into. I was actually considering using it for bases for scrappy backgrounds, but maybe there is some life in it yet. And lastly, I stamped onto the card front itself. I don't do this often because I get nervous I'll screw it up and end up stamping - and then screwing up - the whole card front. I had success on the first try though, which makes me happy. The card front is a tiny bit textured, DCWV-style. As a side note, this is Sketch #78. Oh boy, there's ATG tape in the bottom left corner. Growl!!

Now I'm going to humbly shamelessly plug OWH. If I have any readers who are not associated with Operation Write Home, here's the scoop: Volunteer card makers all over the country (including you, if we're lucky!) Send blank homemade cards to OWH, which in turn, sends them overseas to our military servicemen and women so they have something beautiful to write home to their families and friends on. Considering how many of our heroes are deployed at any time, and in however many locations all over the world, this is no easy task. Right now, card submissions are dipping and requests from units are up - not a good combination! So if you're hearing about OWH for the first time, or know about us but haven't yet joined us, please consider sending in cards. There is a preferred size, but other sizes are greatly appreciated too if you want to unload some of your stash :). Find out all the details on their website here and like love them on FB here.

As always, thanks for visiting and I hope you have a great day!

8 comments:

  1. Hi Rachael, I loved the cards you shared today!

    Thanks for playing in our Operation Write Home Midweek Throwdown challenge this week!

    I'd love to talk with you about making a sample card for an OWH MWT challenge in the near future if you'd like to e mail me at gonestampin(at)gmail(dot)com I'll tell you all about it :)

    Thanks, Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, it would be an honor! Thank you so much for the invite!

      Delete
  2. Nice work, Rachel! I really like what you did with Ciara. I often see small flaws in my photos, too. One thing I've learned when it comes to lining up several rectangles is that it's easier if I glue one down and then place a ruler up against the edge of what is already glued to use as a guide for placing other pieces. Not only will it keep the edges straight, but I can measure the distance between them so the gaps are uniform. I hope that made sense. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kathryn, that's a great a idea. So simple but brilliant! Thanks a million inches! ;)

      Delete
  3. Nice cards! I really like the 'thanks' card!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great cards-- your coloring is great! Definitely love the Thanks cards--they really pop!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like all those cards and I'm always a fan of polka dots! I see things pop up a lot on my photos, too, but I think it's because, especially when we crop them, the camera lens catches a lot the eye won't. If you don't notice holding it in your hand, no one else probably will, either. Also, the flaws, I continually tell myself, are what elevate handmade cards above store ones.

    Oh, also, Navajo and Persian weavers always put at least one error in their work on purpose. So, see, you're in very good company. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the feedback - I won't beat myself up too much, I guess. Love the story about the weavers!

      Delete