Sunday, August 5, 2012

Homemade Patterned Paper

With all the masking I've seen and some inspiration to try something new, I decided to try my hand at a handcrafted card front. I'll start by showing the finished product, then showing you the process.


I started with a leaf stamp on a piece of scrap paper, cutting it along the outline. I have to say, it was much more pleasant than fussy cutting with empty space about the image. I get very frustrated when I cut along - not on - a printed/stamped line. There was a bit of anxiety, however, where the stem meets the leaf. Whoa, Nelly, that was a close one! Here are close-ups of the stamps...



Once I stamped the whole card front, I worked on coloring in the background...
See that smudge toward the center? Gone!
The dreaded colored pencil glare! Noooo!

I began to run out of choices for leaf colors and didn't want two of the same color of leaf to touch each other, so I tried a gold one... didn't like it at all!


Solution? Sentiment! I love card-making, lol. You can't fix your flubs in other things the way you can with crafts ;). I used black to give definition to the veins of all the leaves and opted not to dab with baby oil for this one. I did a test and the colors blended too much with each other. I'm going to use this for an Any Hero card when the weather gets chillier. I know, it's selfish, but I kinda want to be the one who gets to use it since it's a first try and turned out pretty good. I can see myself doing this again in the future, but only with super inspiring stamps or design ideas. It took me a few hours to do this and spending that much time on cards usually renders me at least 6 or 7 of them. Ok, on to recent challenges!

 The ODBD challenge for August calls for masculine cards. Whoo-hoo! I'd totally forgotten about my goal to keep my boxes half-n-half feminine and masculine. Probably because of last month's challenge (half summer, half winter). So this is good because I needed the reminder. Here's my contribution:


I have to give a special shout out to my kiddies - they think my Cuttlebug is one of the coolest tools I have, so when they ask if they can play with my stuff, I get them to pre-emboss for me. DD did these for me  - notice how level they are? Awesome!

And finally today's sketch challenge, #132, is another simple design with a lot of versatility. I love the samples they offered! Here's mine:
Sturdy felt stockings

So now that I finally have this post done (I started it two days ago), I must get back to preparing for an upcoming interview. This is my first teaching interview and I'm ridiculously excited! But, of course, I have to prep. I need to print multiples of my mini-portfolio (choosing the perfect balance of lesson plans and student work is no easy task), watch another documentary on education in America (loved this one), and do more research on flipped classrooms and the M.A. for Literacy and Cognition (my own educational goal).

Have a great day and thanks for visiting!


15 comments:

  1. Rachel, these cards are awesome!! I LOVE the leaf one!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think those stockings are so awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great cards, Rachel. I life the leaf one. That leaf might be great for what's call the triple stamp technique. I'll try to get a flower one done (as I don't have any leaves), and post on my blog this week. But if you do a search, I'm sure you can find this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These cards are so pretty, and I love how you created those autumn backgrounds! Your DD must have inherited her Mom's crafty talent too! NJ on the sketch challenge- I just love those fuzzy stockings! Good luck with the interview!

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOWweeeeeeeee! You have been very busy and ALL of your cards looks wonderful. I love your OWH cards and think today's sketch was a great one!! I'm afraid to think of FALL yet, as I dread winter...so I'm still trying....to focus on Summer!!

    I think your leaves look great :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great cards! The leaf one must have been time consuming! Particularly love the pop on the middle card. TFS!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kudos to you for making these wonderful cards, Rachel, even as you prepare for your big interview!! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great sketch card, but I loved the leaf cards and all your instructions too! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank all you ladies for the wonderful comments! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great cards-- I love those leaves! Definitely going to need to try that one for size :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cute cute!! I love the felt! I also see a tutorial that NEEDS to be shared!! ;) love your leaf background!

    ReplyDelete
  12. OMG!! All your cards are fabulous! I know I would have never made it through the leaf background without going cross-eyed. [ha!] Thanks for the tut. Super cool guy card for the ODBC challenge, and love the word paper you used in the skethc challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  13. WOW! A terrific collection of cards! Your leaf background is genius! Best wishes for the interview!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Aw, those little felt stockings are so cute! Thanks for joining us in this week's OWH Stars & Stamps Sketch Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  15. these cards are wonderful! I really like the birthday one! I like the layers and the embossing!

    ReplyDelete